Fixing Sign-in Issues with Guest WiFi on Android
I was recently at a hotel, and was trying to connect to their WiFi. When I first connected from my Android tablet it asked me to Sign-in to the network, so I did that, and got in. Later on, I had to connect again, which I did, and was not prompted for a sign-in. I assumed that my sign-in session from last time was valid. Apparently it wasn’t. I could not connect to anything. And I could not get the sign-in prompt to come up. Even when I would “forget” the network and then reconnect, I was still not given a sign-in prompt.
I eventually got signed back in, but I had to do so manually. Here is what I did:
- Pull down the notification bar on the Android device.
- Press and hold the Wifi icon.
- The next screen shows you the network you are connected to. Click the gear icon next to it to bring up its settings.
- On this setting screen, press “Advanced”.
- Under Network Details, look for Gateway, and note it’s IP address:
- Then open up the browser on your device and point it at http://<GatewayIPAddress>.
At that point, you should be back at your Guest Wifi’s sign-in screen, and be able to sign-in again.